Friday, August 24, 2012

1 Corinthians 6:19-20


This week I have been digging deeply into what I consider to be my ‘life verse’.  

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body.”      1 Corinthians 6:19-20

When I started leaning on Christ for strength to achieve the unthinkable weight loss goals, He gave me this Bible verse.  Since then, I have kept it held tightly very close to my heart.  It reminds me that it is not about me.  So when I am running and I am getting tired and want to quit before I should or I am staring that Reese cup down as my mouth is lusting over its milk chocolate after I have already had a couple… when I am tempted, I think of this verse.

What does this verse say?  It states that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and that the Holy Spirit lives in you.  It states that we have all received the gift of the Holy Spirit in us from God.  It states that you were bought at a price- when Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice and shed His blood for you.  It tells us to honor God with your temple.  

I see so many spiritual truths in this verse!  Is there a sin I need to confess after reading this verse? UM…YEAH!  A few actually for myself: gluttony, laziness, lack of control, and finding strength in myself instead of asking God for it. 

God gives us a promise in this verse.  He promises that he has given us our body to serve as a temple for the Holy Spirit, who is in us! I don’t know about you, but after realizing that this is a gift that God has given us, it makes me WANT to consider God when making choices about my body.  It makes me want to take positive actions towards my temple such as eating clean, exercising, controlling substances that are put into my body, and taking care of my appearance.  This is where I find the motivation to pray for control and motivation to follow through.  

Food for thought- some questions that you can think about and pray over…
How do we apply this to our lives?
How should you plan to take control of your health?
What sins do we need to confess and why?
What are your personal health goals? What actions will you take to achieve them?  Can you rely on the strength of Christ to do this instead of your own?
How do you honor God with your body now and do you think it should change?

No comments:

Post a Comment