Thursday, August 23, 2012

ZUMBA


So, when I first started working out I worked out with a personal trainer.  Well, let’s be honest- I did not know the first thing about lifting weights.  My husband and I joined a gym about 9 months after I had my gastric bypass surgery and had lost 110 pounds through the surgery which affected my diet and running after I started the couch to 5K program.  So we join the gym and they set us up on a circuit that went through 7-12 weight machines to do a full body workout.  I stuck with that for about 3 months and then my body was getting used to it.  So I got a trainer.  She was, and still is, awesome!  Her name is Laura and she is amazing!  Out of everybody, she was, and still is, probably my biggest cheerleader.  She has seen me experience firsthand all the hard work that I have put into my body.  Blood. Sweat. Tears. And Jesus. No Joke.  All good things must come to an end, or at least pause every now and then.  My husband and I moved into a different city in May and because of distance and money I stopped my personal training that I have been engaged in for about 2 years.  This was very sad for me, because when you spend that much time with a person that is training you they become your friend as well.  So, here we are in a new city and going to a new gym.  Might as well try something new, right? During the past 2 years I have tried out this fitness class called Zumba 3 different times with 3 different instructors.  Those times that I tried it, I was not impressed in the least.  I could never keep up and it was all this crazy music.  A couple of times the rooms were so full I ended up backed into the wall and dancing on the wall- which if you are getting a visual, you know that isn’t pretty!  I talked my best friend into joining the gym we were members of so that we could work out together.  She talked me into trying Zumba again… Have you ever taken a Zumba class?  Zumba Fitness® is the simply Latin-like dance moves that are a fitness program.  Zumba mixes together burning hot global music and infectious steps to structure a "fitness-party" that is absolutely addictive. 
LOVED it.  I looked like a fool dancing while I watched myself attempt to “pump it” in the mirror but I loved it.  I really liked the instructor, she would just start this high pitched squeal while she would “pump it” and it I just found it highly amusing.  I feel the need to describe to the ones of you that don’t know what “pumping it” is.  You stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, hold your arms up but bent so your fists are knuckle to knuckle (without touching) in front of your chest, and then you thrust your bottom and top areas in a squeezing kind of way to the beat of the music.  Sounds awful, but it is highly amusing. The instructor had some crazy music but she also had a good mixture of songs that I knew so I could sing along to them while I made a huge fool out of myself.  Interesting, I KNOW!
Ladies… I believe you should know my rules for Zumba (that apply to me):
1.      Wear a baggy shirt.  Oh goodness, I had on a tight wifebeater type tank top and when I was “pumping it”, things were shaking that should NOT have been shaking.  It was bad… I found rolls I didn’t know existed!
2.      Wear 2 bras… because the things that shake that I implied about above happened in that area as well! 
3.      Get in the back of the room, but make sure you can still see the instructor.  Nobody wanted to be behind me, okay?! You did not want to see that pumping going on because I thought I was so sexy and I was busy finding my inner sexy and “pumping it” and trust me, I did the world a favor.  Also, it is fun to do some people watching in the back of the room.  I just didn’t want to be the one that people were watching.
4.      DO NOT make eye contact with anybody.  Awkward! 
Last night I came home from Zumba all pumped up because I think I am getting good at it after 4 classes and I am determined to teach a class now.  I am going to try to get certified in teaching Zumba now… Stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment